Forum for the YouTube roleplay 10 Doors.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cinderella

PostSubject: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Apparently there's a new Bill about uploading copyrighted materiel on the internet, they are trying to pass it in the US Senate. :/ Could get up to 5 years in prison for uploading simple fanvideos ._.

Can we all agree that the generation in charge of America pretty much sucks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Haha yup.

Can't wait to move out of this country.

Do you have a link to any articles about the subject? This is actually the first I've heard of it. .__.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm

My brother was the one who told me about it :/ I'll ask him to email it to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Here's the link. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-978
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anya

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Shit...now I'm kind of scared
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Yep...

Pray it doesn't pass, because this is not fair to us who just pretty much give these movies more advertising. Sad The generation in charge of the country doesn't know anything about what our generation wants or needs. They only want to live in the past and force their ways onto us... Sad And when they die, our generation will be the ones who have to fix it...

And it's going to take a LOT of work...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Ohhh shiznit. I'm seriously kinda scared. I live in the US. :l

I know copyright has always been an issue, but nothing super severe, unless you're like a crazy copyright thief or something.
But... 5 years in prison for a simple fan video? I don't want to stop editing and such T.T
Cindy, definitely try keeping us up to date! I can't get on all the time, and when I do it's for short periods.. but yeah! Gosh.

Man... not cool. So I hear England is pretty nice... might take up residence there just so I can edit. xD
Okay maybe not, but I mean COME ON AMERICA. It's just freaking DISNEY FAN VIDEOS. Grr, it makes me angry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Oh, and do you know if this new bill, if passed, would overrule this?

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Because... I swear, on Youtube, this stupid thing is useless. I learned the hard way to NOT try to get a video un-blocked by stating the above disclaimer, I ended up just getting a strike. So.. does it even freaking help us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wendy

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:00 pm

omg this is awful !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Aladdin wrote:
Oh, and do you know if this new bill, if passed, would overrule this?

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Because... I swear, on Youtube, this stupid thing is useless. I learned the hard way to NOT try to get a video un-blocked by stating the above disclaimer, I ended up just getting a strike. So.. does it even freaking help us?
I've used that several times and I've never gotten a strike and it always unblocked my videos >.> Youtube is bipolar...

@Wendy, yeah, it is Sad If it passes, we'll have to stop posting videos and might even have to take down the ones already up D:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm

One of the most unfair things about it is, it'll just be the US that's affected, the other countries will be able to continue posting vids...

I really hope this doesn't pass Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:41 am

Sorry I didn't comment back last night. It's a bunch of confusing legal jargon imho - if they would put out bills like that in layman's terms the average American could understand and say 'oh wait we don't want that' but when it's in a foreign language no one can be bothered! xD

Anyway guys I think we're safe, from what I can tell

Quote :
the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works; and ...

At first I thought this meant 'public preformances by electronic means' meaning like Joe Shmoe in his backyard showing movies every night to the town and charging for the film. But I guess it can also be interpreted as 'electronic means' by like sending it out over the internet.

But here's the line that makes me think we're all safe:

Quote :
the total fair market value of licenses to offer performances of those works would exceed $5,000;’;

Like Michon brought up with the 'Fair Use' act - we haven't made a penny off of these fanvids.

Now the problem is this right here:

Quote :
the total retail value of the performances, or the total economic value of such public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, would exceed $2,500;

What they're saying is that what you or I upload to the internet is costing a company money because by watching what we upload people don't end up buying the company's product and thus what we post has served as a replacement.

Let me give an example Bob Average who uploads Hercules to Youtube is costing Disney money because it is an obvious replacement to their product.

It's fanvids that become a bit more tricky, when you and I upload a fanvid we are simply sampling a Disney film. Like under fair use, we have changed them enough via sampling. What we have done is we have sampled Disney's original product and made it our own (The Black Eyed Peas sample other people's music within their own ALL THE TIME and under fair use they are set because what they have made has changed the original work so much that it is now 'theirs').

When we upload a fanvid of Hercules hanging out with Ariel it is arguably completely changed and thus we have successfully sampled Hercules and The Little Mermaid. The story of said fanvid has nothing to do with the original film's and it's pretty likely Disney would lose the argument that they are a 'replacement'. (But they're a big company anyway so they'd likely win said argument, but in a perfect world this legal reasoning would prevail. xD)

The problem with fanvids however isn't nessecarily the Disney movies we use but the music. We can sample all of the Disney we want and have no problem, but the music? Well that's pretty much copyright infringement right there. Arguably a fanvid can most certainly replace a music company's product, I mean every so often I hear a really awesome song in a vid and then obtain it by legal means, but sometimes I watch a fanvid and then enjoy the music but that's it. And because said song exists in said fanvid the record company conceivably is losing money because that song appears in that vid.

Also sometimes people download vids and put them on their iPods (I know I do) in a court of law this is evidence of a vid replacing the company's product. What we understand is we watch the vid for the editing, not nessecarily the music - but in a court of law a vid on an iPod could be direct evidence of the fact that though completely ineffective it is obvious that by downloading the video and having them on an iPod the video is a replacement for a legally purchased song and thus the company loses.

As far as I can tell we're probably safe we *aren't* making money and technically we're sampling at least one half of the media in our fanvids for commenting and other fair use purposes, just make sure to pitch your songs always (that helps) and add that fair use policy to your vids. I never do it, but it might be a good time to start.

This bill will likely get passed through quietly, it doesn't really affect a majority of the American population, you know that if it was something big like a .... taxes bill everyone would be up in arms, but it's just a copyright bill and that doesn't affect most people or people approve because they want to help the companies out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:11 am

Rachel, I couldn't have stated that or argued that better. You're right from all perspectives.

And the thing is, if this bill wants to get through quietly, then I want us to be watching carefully. I wish more than anything we could somehow argue it or fight it from passing, but being something smaller-scale like this, that could be an issue. Not to mention, this is a 'crime' we would be fighting to stop. I just don't see how we could, unfortunately...

I understand the music though. Redistributing music is what ALWAYS gets my videos either blocked, muted, or just deleted in general. Like you said, at least with video clips, we're samplling. Promoting. On my old account, I got one strike for doing an Anastasia fandub because of the video clips. But everything else? Music. There has GOT to be *something* though... something somewhere that states that it's alright to use it to some extent.

I mean think about it. Naturally, for certain events people will use music as part of it. Like... in a slideshow at a party. Or even jamming out when you're driving around with your friends. That's fine, we're allowed to play it all we want, as long as we've paid for the music (Which I only do half the time, eh). So... why can't we do this? We're just sharing music with a larger audience. And not everyone on Youtube is as crafty as us at illegally downloading music, you'd think that a lot of them figure out what the song we used is and then they go and buy it. I've even done that when I'm feeling like being legal!

I just don't understand why it's not free promotion. Granted, I can understand where they're losing money... but how much could it possibly be influencing their income just by us posting these videos? I'd love to see numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimitri

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:41 am

Ah guys that sucks.. though here in england we had a scare like that and nothing came out of it.. so hopefully that will happen with you !
In all honesty i dont think this will be a problem for you guys.. no one is seriously going to arrest you for 5 years for making a fanvideo >.> But they might remove your accounts or something :3

Come to England! 8D
We may be small and rain alot but we don't have copyright claims stopping us edit - thats a bonus.. ;D
And theres castles... and greenery.. and yeah i'm not sure what else is exciting about us... xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/oliviaheehah2
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:04 am

Haha I'd actually LOVE to visit England. Live there? I dunnooo, you guys are a funny bunch. With driving on the wrong side of the road and all. JUST KIDDING xD

No but I have a lot of family in England, so that would be fun. Ugh, I HOPE it's just a scare. I don't wanna go to prison! I'd be killed within the first week. I'd be sitting in the corner of my cell singing The Little Mermaid and I'd be doomed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ariel

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 am

Yeah in England we had something like that

Nothing happened

just wait and see what happens

but that does fucking suck
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/xPinguProductionsx?feature=mhee
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:58 pm

@Jane, so for now we're safe? I hope we stay safe @_@

I would LOVE to buy all of the movies that I have on my computer, but I'm either broke or when I have the money, it's not in stores at the time -_- Had that happen on several occasions, wanted to buy Sinbad, had the money, but it wasn't there...

Most of the movies I use, I actually have a physical copy of anyways XD

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wendy

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:46 pm

can someone put the disclaimer on here O.o i need it lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Wendy wrote:
can someone put the disclaimer on here O.o i need it lol
Aladdin put it on the first page.

(sorry, I'm being a little lazy >.>; I just don't want to copy and paste anything at the moment...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimitri

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:52 am

@Cinderella- I have almost all the disney videos in my house, but nearly all of them are on videos [yeah they are all old from when my big sister loved disney]. So even if i knew how to rip dvds, i can't use most of mine.. >.<
Back to top Go down
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:02 am

I think all of my movies are rips from my personal DVDs with the exception of The Lion King since I have it on VHS, Lilo and Stitch which for whatever reason I don't own, Cool World because I can't find it anywhere, and Rock and Rule for the same reason of Cool World.

But it doesn't matter because technically DVD ripping is illegal anyway. ;D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimitri

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:09 am

Yeah thats why i cant rip my dvds ... all the ones you can download online could be viruses for all i know and i've already infected this family computer too many time xD
Back to top Go down
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 am

OMG DIM I read your comment again and I was like 'squeee ^^' I remember all of those old VHS tapes, we still have them all but I think along the way we started upgrading to DVDs too. xD Finding Nemo and Treasure Planet were actually the first two DVDs we bought that we actually don't own the VHS tapes for ( don't think they even made tapes at that point, that's why we upgraded xD), and after that we didn't buy another tape again. =[
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimitri

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 am

Theres a whole wall in our house filled with shelves mostly with videos on, mostly kids stuff... i've never heard of Cool world or Rock and roll but then I hadn't heard of Titan A.E or Osmosis Jones before people started using them in videos either xD
Back to top Go down
Jane

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:28 am

Oh!

Cool World is where Holli Would comes from. ^^

And Rock and Rule... that's those kind of animal looking people? xD You'd know it if I showed you a picture.

Same here, there are alot of films I'd never seen, never mind heard of before I started vidding! xD

We used to have shelves and shelves of VHS tapes but my parents finally said enough was enough and once we'd had a fairly large DVD library they took all of the tapes but them in large plastic containers and now they're all stored in the basement. =[
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimitri

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:40 am

Oh I was wondering where they were from... I thought Holli was from something like Who killed Roger Rabbit Razz
.... and i know who you are talking about, i've seen them playing guitars and stuff so i guess thats them..

Thanks btw :3 I wasn't sure what to put.. oh well now i've got to hope I don't get beaten by Phoebus the friendly-neighbourhood-rapist.. xD
Back to top Go down
Wendy

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 pm

i still have all my VHS tapes to just looking at them is memories :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Same here; I have almost all of them for VHS. And back in 1997, we had a horrific flood... and my aunt who lives about 5 hours away (WHO I GET TO SEE TOMORROW! AH! I'M SO EXCITED FOR MY VACATION TRIP Very Happy), anyway, she thought we had lost all of our VHS Disney movies, so she got us a TON. But we actually didn't lose that many. Soo I have two VHS copies of almost every Disney movie. The only reason we have a few on DVD is either the VHS copy got kind of crappy, it's a newer Disney movie, or it was on sale or something. I like VHS... it's classic and legit. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:41 pm

I love VHS too, I mean, I'd rather get a new (well, better condition) VHS of The Lion King, then go out and buy a DVD, because I have no idea if the DVD version has the original copy of the movie, or if it only has the version with the new song/scene "Morning Report". That ruins the movie for me DX I hate that the lines and everything were changed and what not and how Simba looks too -_- Original is much funnier and more cute! <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Woah woah woah, they changed it in the DVD version?? Whyyyy would they do that? That's a no-no. I'm curious, so I'd like to see those scenes and how Simba looks... but at the same time, I feel like it would ruin it for me too. I like Disney exactly how it is, and when I've watched deleted scenes/songs in the past, it's... weird. :l Like the "Human Again" song in BATB, or that one deleted song in Sleeping Beauty, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:18 pm

I haven't watched the DVD version, but I know that's what they did. I watched it on youtube and you can tell that the scene was added in by the COLOR of Simba Sad He's colored wrong and he doesn't look hand drawn anymore, you can tell he was digitally drawn or whatever! DX And the lines are not the same Sad

I was actually excited about the new scene/song in Beauty and the Beast XD But then I saw how Belle looked -_- They made her eyes WAY too big! D: How can people mess up things like that? (I'm a very picky about detail XP)

There's a deleted song in Sleeping Beauty?? o.o I didn't know that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aladdin

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 am

Aww sad day Sad I HATE it when they don't hand draw!!! Lazy bums Razz

Yeah, that's why I don't like the scene! She looks drawn really... off. Especially when he hugs the book. And yes, her eyes are really really big! It's just not right. I'm picky too. I'm sure that HOND 2 drives you mad like it does to me then! Almost makes me wanna cry.

Yeah, I think so anyway! I thought I came across one once. I think it was a song for the fairies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cinderella

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 am

I actually took a look at HOND2 and I was like "Where are the characters??? ....OH! There they are! Blending in with the background -_-" Drive me nuts that I just didn't watch it.

Aladdin 2 is hard to watch, but I can actually watch it because I watched the tv series ALL THE TIME! <33 I loved that show Very Happy lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...   

Back to top Go down

Hey, everyone in AMerica, we might have a problem...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
10 Doors :: [Out of Character] :: ~ Discussing the RP-
Jump to: